Saturday, June 18, 2005

Senator Dick's Non-Apology Apology

I caught this portion of Senator Dick Durbin's non-apology apology over at the Potbelly Stove:

"I have learned from my statement that historical parallels can be misused and misunderstood."

"And over-used like a common, hackneyed cliche, cheapening the meaning of true attrocities. And I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!"

Okay, the last part is mine. I didn't really see an apology to the families of Holocaust victims, concentration camp survivors--ESPECIALLY survivors--residents of the actual Soviet Gulag, Cambodians lost to Pol Pot's Killing Fields.

And how about a straight-up apology to John McCain, while we're at it. Senator McCain's stay in the Hanoi Hilton is well-known. How can Senator Durbin look the senior Senator from Arizona in the eye after this?

No comments: