Friday, September 30, 2005

WHAT-AM (Philadelphia) Drops Franken, Rhodes

Spotted over at Michelle Malkin. I'm posting the excerpt in its entirety since the link requires registration.
Al Franken and Randi Rhodes are getting the boot from Philadelphia airwaves, as WHAT-AM (1340) is pulling off programming from Air America, the liberal talk-radio network.

Friday will be the last day, and a new WHAT lineup will begin Monday, said general manager Kernie Anderson, adding that "things were not working out" with Air America after about a year.

WHAT aired Air America's programming from noon to 7 p.m. weekdays, sandwiched between the rest of its lineup. The juxtaposition of liberal talk and WHAT's African America-targeted talk programming seemed an odd fit from the start.

Ratings were abysmal.
I wonder if they'll put more local programming on in their places, or just turn off the transmitter for a few hours. Perhaps another station in blue, blue Philadelphia will pick them up.

The Malkin story also notes that Franken's partner is dropping him to go write a book about her move to New York. I can't say I blame her. I've listened a bit to Randi Rhodes. While I find her tedious, she is at least a radio pro. Listening to Franken was pure torture. I can't imagine doing it for a couple hours a day, every day.

(See also: The Radio Equalizer)

No comments: